Wednesday, January 15, 2014

There's No Place Like My Other Home

I know I never finished my "Days of Thankfulness" posts, but who really finishes those? I guess you can just consider this another thing I am thankful for.

I was home for a month over winter break in December/January. I spent a lot of time at my mom's house, which was fantastic. I had a great time with my mom and my siblings. Christmas was fantastic. Here's the thing though, I have a great home. I always have. That really doesn't surprise very many people. Sure there are times where I wish I was somewhere else, but that's what it means to spend time with your family. You love them most of the time, but sometimes you hate them.

My point is: my home is great, but the last few years, I've slowly found that I have something that I never really expected to have. Another home.

I spent the last two weeks at Nick's house in North Carolina. It was amazing. I guess I've been around so much that I am practically considered family. That is such an honor. My own family HAS to accept me, but to be accepted into a family that I initially had no ties to... It's great. It means that I always have a place to go. Two homes. Two families. I feel like I'm a part of something. And every time I go back something has changed. His sister is 7 now, and she actually hugs me when I leave and gets excited to play with me instead of being bashful. His brother and I have some intense conversations. He's graduating this year, and it's kind of crazy. I knew him before he was a freshman. It's crazy to watch everyone grow up and see the changes that happen over time.

Sorry for rambling, but I just needed the one or two people that still read this to know that I am incredibly grateful for everything that Nick and his family have done for me. They really are an amazing group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment