Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Future.

I don't want this to sound like an angry venting post, because it isn't. Keep that in mind when reading this. 

I wish people would stop telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing at this age. "You're too young to be thinking about [insert a topic here]." Every person is different. I might be young, but I'm still an adult. I'm old enough to be making my own decisions. People are always telling me that and then following it with their own bit of advice. It really throws me off. I spend so much of my life trying to please other people, and though I'm trying to get better about that, it is how I am. I'm always worried about disappointing my friends, my parents, even my high school teachers. It's a problem. 

What's wrong with having a five year plan? What's wrong with thinking about my future? Isn't it a good thing that I'm thinking ahead? These questions are constantly going through my head. 

Yes. I'm only twenty years old. Yes. I'm only a sophomore in college. BUT I don't want to end up without a plan. 

There is nothing wrong with thinking about grad school or where I want to end up living after college. There is nothing wrong with thinking about marriage and having a family. I'm not planning on doing it tomorrow. Or anytime soon really. But it is going to happen eventually. I'm sick of people treating discussion of the future like it's a jinx. I'm going to do what I think is right for me. 

I'm not sure if I'm writing this to vent, or to convince myself that I don't have to please everyone, but either way, I think it needed to be said. 

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment