Sunday, September 9, 2012

Freshman Day of Service!



Every year, the weekend before September 11, The freshman at GWU split up into groups and go to various places in the DC area to do community service. It's technically optional, but they make it sound mandatory. It doesn't matter though, because we all did it and loved it. It's one of the biggest community service days in the country. I think it's a fantastic idea. I love doing community service, but you know me. I love the look on people's faces when you do something nice for them.

My dorm isn't too big, so we were all grouped together. We went to a kid's community center and weeded up grass and painted a sign. Well...that's what everyone else did. Skylar and I made pots out of newspaper and planted kale in them for the garden. About an hour into it, some of the kids from the community center came out on decided they wanted to help us, which was all fine and dandy until they began multiplying. It reached the point where it was counterproductive, so Skylar and I passed off the newspaper planting job and started playing duck, duck, goose with the kids until clean up time. At which point, Will started spraying the kids with the hose. It was adorable

Overall, it was a surreal experience. I know I will never forget it. I had so much fun and it's always a great experience to do something for something else. It's an even better experience when you know that it will benefit a group of super sweet kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment